Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Ain't Life Funny?

I ran across this article last night in a random blog I was in and it just cracks me up.  Two years ago, I was exactly like the complainant.  I remember asking Laurel Krey and Danielle Haynes "What DO you do all day?"  Their response?  "Umm...I'm not sure.  We read books, play..."  Now I totally get it.  Time flies and you have no idea how to slow it down.  By the time you get a shower, it's time for lunch or sometimes even dinner.  My rule is that I have to be bathed and dressed by the time James gets home.  Thank goodness he's late so much!  Here's the article:


I remember when I found out my separation package was accepted and I knew for sure I would be a stay at home mom, I started filling up my days  with activities (like music class, play groups, Bible studies) since there was no possible way I could last 8 hours alone all day with Connor.  I'm glad that God has a sense of humor because that 8 hours normally turns into 14and I never know where my time goes.  I also learned to not fill up your days because what would normally take 5 minutes, usually turns into 30 because you have a toddler ruining anything you are trying to do (his favorite is to dive into my piles of folded laundry).  Do you want to know what a stay at home mom does?  Here's my usual schedule:

6:30:  wake up and lay in bed for a bit before Connor wakes up.
7:00:  Connor usually wakes up screaming, so I go to the fridge, grab some milk, bring it to him, lie back down while he drinks it
7:30: Get Connor up, change a diaper, go make coffee
7:30-8:30:  Breakfast time and getting Connor dressed.  I usually make James' lunch in this time as well
8:30:  get dressed to go to the YMCA to work out, pack a diaper bag and change the diaper one more time
9-10: Get to the YMCA, drop Connor off in the nursery, work out, leave
10-11:  Quick shower, while keeping a strict eye that Connor doesn't climb on the bathroom counter, get dressed, and then it's play time
11-1ish:  Connor naps.  This is the time I have to make phone calls, check emails, fold laundry, put laundry away, sweep/mop, clean bathrooms, or nap
1:  Connor wakes up, change a diaper and feed him lunch
1-5:  Usually play time.  Maybe change a few diapers or go run errands like dry cleaning, groceries, pick up prescriptions, etc.
5: Start work on dinner and make sure Connor isn't climbing on anything
6:  Feed Connor and myself
6:30:  Sit down and watch Wheel of Fortune (hey-it's educational...he's learning letters!)
7:  Bathtime!
7:30:  Time to turn off TV's, radios, etc and wind down.  We usually sit and read some books.
8:  Prayer time and bed
8-10:  Fold laundry, clean up toys, wash dishes, put dishes away, pay bills, catch up on phone calls or do any other cleaning that I can't get done while Connor is awake
10-12: Focus on James time.
12:  BED! 

I am so lucky to be doing what I do everyday.  I love being at home more than anything! Yes, there really isn't any me time in here, but who needs it?  I usually take my "me" time on Saturday mornings when James is home (and usually it's sleeping in). 

3 comments:

lisa said...

sounds like you need some Courtney time or some wine time!!! Opps sorry...soon you get to have wine time again! Your days sound like heaven except for the lack of wine time.... ;) Love you!! S.A.M.

Stella can't wait to meet her cousin Connor...I showed her a pic and she waved her arms and kicked her legs!!

Anonymous said...

no wonder you live to sleep in...that's only 6 1/2 hours of sleep a night, girl! i'd need to sleep in, too!

by the way, you do an awesome job as connor's mother and james' wife. don't let anybody (including yourself) convince you otherwise. love you, friend!

Courtney said...

You have no idea Brooke! My body is just starting to get up at 6:30 these days...maybe I'm preparing for an infant again. Aunt Lisa-thank goodness I have never gotten into a daily wine time and really, I'm not that big of a drinker, so it doesn't really bother me...unless we are eating Mexican food. You just have to drink a margarita with Mexican!