Sunday, November 21, 2010

Jacob's Birth



He's finally here!  I am still in shock.  I have to keep reminding myself that I am a mom to TWO boys.  God must think a lot of James and I, giving us a new generation of men to raise. What a responsibility.  The birth was picture perfect.  Here is the whole story, even though it seems like there isn't much to tell:

Sunday morning around 4:30 am, I woke up and started having regular contractions.  They lasted for a few hours before I woke James up.  Around 7 am, I called my mom and told her I thought labor was imminet that day.  Mom, Ashley, & Ryan started driving around 10 am Sunday.  Well, those contractions fizzled about that time, but they decided to still come anyway.  I continued to get sporatic contractions on Monday as well, but nothing happened.  Ashley and Ryan had to leave on Tuesday and literally, the minute they walked out the door (around 12:30 pm), contractions started coming.  Since I had been having contractions regularly, I didn't think much of it.  The only difference in these was the throbbing in my back. 

James and I had planned on going to a movie and lunch that day since my mom was still here to watch Connor.  Half way there I decided that I was really in labor and that it was going to happen that day.  We stopped at Whataburger, got a milkshake, and went home.  I labored at home until around 8 pm-I was worried to get to the hospital too soon, but my mom saw my emotional cue that it was in fact, time to go and she swiftly kicked us out the door.

James made me laugh through most of the contractions during the drive because he was driving CRAZY!  You would've thought I was pushing in the back seat or something-running stop signs on base, driving 10 miles over the speed limit, and racing into a parking spot.  Getting into the hospital was hilarious too.  We had just missed the complimentary valet parking, so we had to park and walk in.  We took our time, but as soon as James could get his hands on a wheelchair, he was off racing again!  I think we hit every wall on the way in.  Once in triage, we found out I was already 5 cm dialated, 80% effaced and the baby had already settled into the pelvis.  Great news!!

While in triage, Martha was allowed to come in (Martha was our doula) and she just instantly calmed me.  She praised my relaxation and told me how good I was doing.  That was awesome to hear in those moments.  Once we got into the room, we instantly got to work.  I don't remember much, but know that transition was awful.  There were about 30 minutes of back-to-back contractions that seemed to never end.  Martha, James and mom just kept telling me it was almost over.  It was also awesome to hear what exactly the baby was doing through each contraction.  Being unmedicated, you can feel the baby move right into place.  I even felt him kick off the top of my uterus to get ready to come out!  It was amazing! 

Dr. Jones arrived at the hospital around 11:30 to break my water and he had me start pushing after that.  He thought I had a little pushing to do, so he suggested I lay on my side to push and left the room (this was round midnight).  Well, obviously, I didn't have much to do, and 18 or so minutes later, Jacob was born! 

I need to add in here that James was my "calm" the entire labor.  I didn't realize it until he was gone, but the man literally hugged me through each contraction, placing counter pressure on my belly.  No one else knew how to do it just right.  After a few hours, James had to use the restroom and my mom took over the "pressure hug."  Not that my mom did it wrong or anything, but she just wasn't James. I think the comfort was just knowing he was with me.  During the pushing stage, I remember hugging tight to James shoulders during each contraction.  I am pretty sure I left a bruise on his arms, but I never checked to make sure :)  I feel so empowered as a couple and in my ability to relax and actually TRUST James to get me through.  It was pretty remarkable and a true testament to our growth as husband and wife.


James' Labor Position
 
They let James cut the chord and Jacob was immediatly placed on my belly where he stayed for about an hour and a half before the nurse had to weigh and measure him.  He was able to nurse within minutes of birth as well.  This birth was just so peaceful-exactly how I imagined it to be.  Jacob is so precious and is already so much like James-calm and quiet.  It truly was a joyful birth!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm so, so, SO happy for you and jacob! what a wonderfuly, joyful experience for your and james. tears well up in my eyes to realize just how much this means for you guys:)

and83 said...

This made me laugh and cry! Oh Courtney, I have soo many questions! So excited for y'all!!

Courtney said...

I made a few additions to the blog! Alyssa-shoot me any questions that you have or I still have the same cell # if you want to call!

Craig-Jen said...

What a wonderful birth story! It brought back memories of Madeline's labor and trusting my husband. I love hearing about successful natural births and it (selfishly) gives me hope that I can (with God's grace, of course) do the same thing one day. I'm already praying for a VBAC for our next baby (no, I'm not pregnant, but I'm praying just the same!)

Congratulations!