Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Easy Way Out

I remember the first time I got caught cheating on homework.  I was in the 5th grade, in homeroom in Mrs. Appling's class.  I didn't finish my math homework for Mrs. Larkins class the night before because it was fractions and I was totally confused, so, I copied a friend's homework so that I would still be able to turn it in. And I got busted.  BIG time. 

It was the very first time I was ever sent to the principle's office.  My mom was called to the school and I was faced to either lie or tell the truth, which to this day, I'm not sure what I did. All I remember is that I was mortified and scared.  I wasn't scared just because I was caught, but I was scared because I would have to tell my little secret.  That I had absolutely no clue how to do a fraction.  And then I would have to do something else even more mortifying.  I would have to ask for help!

Cheating was the easy way out.  It was my way of not asking for help, tackling my fears, and pushing forward without fixing what needed to be fixed.  We all do that in our lives, somehow or another. 

Something very fresh on mind (and more the point of the blog post) is cheating in marriage. Whether it be watching pornography, going to a strip club, being best friends with someone of the opposite sex that isn't your spouse, masturbation, or having a physical relationship with someone else, it's all cheating.  Heck, you could even include binge drinking, drugs, video games, or time spent on Internet. 

I've heard all too often "these things are normal." No, they aren't. If they are, they shouldn't be.  I am obviously coming from a female perspective here, so, let me just say that NO WOMAN IN HER RIGHT MIND IS OK WITH YOU LOOKING AT ANOTHER WOMAN NAKED.  PERIOD!!!  (and if she says she is, she's just trying to please you.)  It's against the grain.  Your woman wants to be your one and only.  She wants to be the one to fill you up with what you need.  If you are having to get it from somewhere, it tells her subconscious that she is not good enough.  Because, isn't that what you're telling your spouse when you look elsewhere?  That they aren't enough? 

When you cheat, you aren't just cheating yourself.  You are cheating everyone around you.  You are cheating your spouse, your family, you are even cheating the person you are cheating with.  Because let's face it, there is something wrong with you spiritually or else you wouldn't be cheating.  If you can't face the tough,  ugly truth with your spouse, how the heck are you going to face it with the one you are cheating with?  It will just continue to haunt you until you face it, head on. 

I guess this has turned into more of a rant than an inspiring blog post. I am tired of watching people take the easy way out.  I will never forget Brooke saying "if Matt ever cheated on me, I'd make him stay and face me."  Right on.  Because you see, that's the point.  Cheating is not admitting that you can't do a simple fraction.  It's hiding the fact that you're scared to ask for help.  It's taking matters into your own hands and, most of the time, you will be caught red-handed.  And the consequences in life are far worse than being sent to the principles office and having a parent teacher conference. 

Here is what the Bible says: 
"Wives, submit to your husbands, as to the Lord.  For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.  now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the world and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies."  Ephesians 5:22-28 

*FYI: I am NOT talking about my husband.  James is almost too perfect and because of him, I have high ideals for all men and all marriages.  He has shown me what a good, Christian man can be like.  He has made me his number one and chooses to refrain from the list of things I have listed above.  It's because of him, I have such high hopes for all of my friends and my family.

10 comments:

AnnaYoung said...

You should be a Latter-day Saint : ) Couldn't agree with you more~!

Doctrine and Covenants 42:22-23 says: 22 Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else.

23 And he that looketh upon a woman to lust after her shall deny the faith, and shall not have the Spirit; and if he repents not he shall be cast out.

Genesis 2:24 is pretty clear cut too: 24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his dwife: and they shall be one flesh.

Of course it goes both ways, my standard for Tyler is his for me. (btw, got the scrip references from http://lds.org/scriptures/?lang=eng)

Keith Pond said...

Courtney, great words! Thank you for not making it inspiring. It needed to be a two-by-four-between-the-eyes rant.

I appreciate your love for Christ, his word, and for crying out behalf of marriages torpedoed from within.

Will be posting a link to this from my "Husbands" blog.

GoBU said...

Thank you for this. I have been so alone with this. My marriage has been ruined by my insecurities after my husband's indiscretions. He doesn't seem to understand why I was so hurt and hasn't (or won't - which I'm so afraid of) And reading your post made me feel better. Please pray for me. I have no one.

Courtney said...

GoBU-I'm ashamed that I don't know who this is. But I am praying regardless...that you & your husband can restore your marriage & for the healing process.

Keith Pond said...

GoBU, shameless plug. If your husband is a believer, and perhaps even if he is not, might I suggest a blog that I write to encourage husbands to love their wives? For lack of originality it can be found at www.husbandsloveyourwives.blogspot.com. It encourages, exhorts, rebukes, prods and kicks husbands toward following what God has to say about leading and loving their woman.

GoBU said...

Thank you for your kind words of support and prayer! It's just so hurtful because I feel like everything that is wrong is because of who I am and who I have always been. It seems like my husband has "buyer's remorse". So did he every love me? Or he loved be before but now to have his love I need to be someone else? Am I supposed to be a chameleon? Changing or reinventing myself to fit his needs?

(sorry for the rhetorical questions)

Courtney said...

After months of wearing them filthy, I finally cleaned my wedding rings. Which is silly because I have a jewelry cleaner sitting on my bathroom counter, so I could easily stick them in every day.

I know this is far from comparision, but sometimes in marriage, we just have to have the resolve to stick it in the cleaner. Find a way to compromise on both sides, find a happy medium or just re-learn how to regrow...TOGETHER. This happens a LOT (especially if you have young kids or are busy in a career where you spend lots of time apart). You have to make the time to be "one" each and every day. It takes work at the start, but ends up being habit. You may need to visit a counselor, pastor, or have a mediator to help you work through it....but the glory is that you WILL come through it. Because God can make all things shiny & new. And he can redeem us!

When I took my wedding rings out of the cleaner, it struck me how beautiful they are...and how quickly I forget after a few months of dirt piling on them. God can do that for your marriage!

GoBU said...

Thank you Courtney for your inspiration words. I'm just having such a difficult time and I feel helpless and hopeless. I'm desperately trying not to, but in the face of being told "I don't love you and I don't think I every did" is ripping me up inside. every. single. second. I can't believe he means it. I just need so much strength from God right now and prayer. So much prayer.

GoBU said...

Update: my husband rejected my forgiveness and has left.

Courtney said...

GoBu-would you like to talk? I understand if you don't want me to know who you are, but you can email me: courtney.s.killian@gmail.com, call me: 254-498-8514 or facebook me. I am praying for you and your husband and for healing on both sides. Please let me know what I can do for you.