Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mask

"If you spent your life concentrating on what everyone else thought of you, would you forget who you really were? What if the face you showed the world turned out to be a mask...with nothing beneath it?"

Isn't that powerful? James and I have been talking and trying to examine our own authenticity. It sometimes feels that we are not truly who we are around certain people, and them us. I had a discussion with our small group and mentioned that I feel more comfortable around my non-Christian friends...here's why: They get me. They accept me. I don't have to pretend. I can fully disclose my past and they don't care. I like that. I want that same level of disclosure with my very-Christian friends too though...but that is going to take me TAKING OFF THE MASK and not caring what they think....because Jesus is the only true judge and he already knows all of my mistakes, failures, and slip-ups.

New Years resolutions to me are somewhat dumb. But this year, I am going to resolve to stop hiding behind the "Baptist mask"-that who I was made me who I am and my past is just that-the past. I am resolving to be truly authentic and to surround myself with the same attitude. I have only told one person my full story here in Wichita Falls (Brooke, you lucky girl!) and maybe it is time to fully disclose a few dark chapters so that the happy chapters can be shared too.

"What if the face you showed the world turned out to be a mask...with nothing beneath it?" Makes you think, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

courtney, i'm so glad we shared -early on- all those deep, dark secrets. i really treasure our friendship:)

Courtney said...

Me too Brooke! My life would definitely not be the same without you in it!