Sunday, January 23, 2011

To Diet or Not to Diet

I stood on the scale this morning.  And to be honest, I'm depressed.  165...last week it was 157.  How did this happen?  I ate well all week and only splurged in one chocolate chip cookie yesterday.  My theory was that I could just exercise, eat well (lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats) and not count calories.  I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because the last thing I want to do is to restrict calories too much and mess with my milk supply. 

I'm extremely frustrated because I worked my tail off during the pregnancy to only gain 33 lbs.  When I went to the hospital I was 178 (my starting weight was 145), so I expected that I would at least be down to 150 by now.  I wish I could be one of those women that lose it all at once, but nothing in my life has ever been that easy. 

I remember my weight loss journey in college, then after Connor's birth and I HATE having to diet.  In college it was easy.  I didn't have another life to worry about (while nursing you should try to not lose more than 1 lb a week b/c of the toxins it can release into your bloodstream). It's a delicate balance now when I just want to go full force and get it over with.  It's also different because losing weight in college was a process of learning myself and working through insecurities.  Now, it's just me trying to get back to that place, which of course is also a journey, but different.  I'm not insecure at all and want my outside to match my inside.  And basically, I don't want to spend money on more clothes when I have awesome clothes that I just want to fit back into.  I'm cheap :) 

My goal weight is 135 and I know that I just have to be patient, but I am so ready to be back to normal.  So, I know that I have to do something, I'm just not sure what.  10 months on, 10 months off right?

3 comments:

Craig-Jen said...

I'm there with you...I've hit a wall with my post-baby weight loss and I'm still nursing Madeline (yes, at 16 months). I'm convincing myself that I'm hanging on to the last 5-10 pounds because I am still nursing, but that honestly may not be the truth. You're doing it the right way and are healthy. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

You WILL get there! I know you and I know you will. Even with out nursing, I lost less than a pound a week. It turned out to be about 3 pounds per month.

Courtney said...

I know Brooke, I'm just impatient, but on a lighter note, the scale reverted back to my 157 again today. Seriously, what is up with that? And Jen, I have heard that a lot of women hang onto the last 5-10 lbs while nursing. I only nursed Connor for 4 months (because of work), but did start seeing weight drop a lot faster after I stopped. However, I did not lost that last 10 either so have farther to go this time around!