Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Old Friends


Yes.  They are shoes.  And yes, they have been good friends.  These shoes saw me through my very first Zumba class.  They saw me through getting an Excellent on my first PT test after Connor was born.  They saw three seperate moves (Basswood to Sheppard, then Sheppard to Bossier City).  They saw me through countless runs before getting pregnant with Jacob.  They saw me complete the YMCA's Bikini Bootcamp with Amanda.  They saw me walk miles upon miles pulling Connor in his wagon while pregnant with Jacob.  They saw the streets of Sheppard AFB with Connor, Jude and Jenn.  They saw the transition from active duty, to guard, to reserves.  They helped me go into labor with Jacob.  Then, they hit the pavement in Bossier City helping me prep for my second half-marathon. 

Being a military wife, I have learned to cling to things that will remain constant.   The one thing I can always rely on is putting on my pink Asics, grabbing my ipod, and hitting the road (and nowadays pushing my double Bob stroller).  These shoes were always there for me.  You will typically find them thrown accross the living room floor-worn, used, loved.  They call my name in the mornings and inspire me to get out my pajamas and GO.  These shoes are more than just a pair of shoes-these helped create memories and are a lasting reminder of my life in a different place.

I've been staring at my new box of Asics for four days now.  They remain untouched, unworn, and still smell new.  I am not sure why it is so hard to pull out the shoes and wear them.  To me, they signify change.  Change of life, change of direction, and change of setting.  They are a reminder that I am no longer in Wichita Falls living the life I loved.  But, they are in fact a beautiful reminder that life in Bossier City remains to be unwrapped.  That there is a lot to discover and I must take them out of the box, throw them on the living room floor and GO. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"to be unwrapped". i love it, and you're right. i had one of those moments last night too, regarding our move and such.

Courtney said...

I still can't open the box. What is wrong with me?!?!