Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Feminist Revolution....


seriously hurt our society. I am currently reading Dr. James Dobson's "Bringing Up Boys" and it has been such a wake-up call for me. Through the past year, I have been on a remarkable journey and it has led me right where I thought I would never be-HOME. I like what Sarah Palin said the other day on Oprah "You can have it all, just not a the same time." It is so true.

In the 1960's, the feminist movement started a wave that has greatly impacted young women and men today. The idea that we are born alike is bogus. Women are not men and men are not women. We are each created with unique capabilities meant to balance one another. America is raising confused kids, because gender lines have been blurred to the point that sometimes you don't know what is what. Yes, women deserve equal pay for equal work-that point I believe in. But the idea that we should leave all of our feminine desires aside to pursue a man's world just doesn't seem to sit right with me. The impact is that women are working more, home less and neglecting their children. Children need a parent in their lives-24/7. It has also confused a generation of men who no longer know how to be men...they are afraid to be masculine, be the hero, and do what is right even when it is not the popular thing (hello politicians). It has forced some women to be more masculine and to take on the role of men.

You can see it in schools and even in the books that were published around that time. The other day I was reading "The Little Engine that Could" to Connor. Anyone ever notice that the engine was a girl? And that the engines that refused to help were men? What kind of message is that sending to our kids-that men will abandon or not help you? I know that seems extreme, but the "brainwashing" starts young. Also, look at the scholarship programs or bring your daughter to work day program. Why are there more for girls than there are for boys? Check out the kids who act out in schools-I bet they are mostly boys. Curriculum is built for girls....boys need more play time and are not as able to sit still in school. They need to run and play-so why did we cut recess down to 20 minutes a day? Because we are supposed to be all the same? Well, we aren't.

I see friends who are busy in careers, school, and everything but what their gut is telling them...and it makes me sad. God truly smacked me over the head with my calling at this moment. This year, I am praying for friends to get smacked too-that there is only one life to live. There really is no award, medal, or good report that will ever make me want to go back to the daily grind of work life...at least yet. I find it interesting that things that used to make me jealous or awe-struck don't anymore.

So feminist movement-IN YOUR FACE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like hearing what's on your mind, courtney. i never thought i'd hear you say "feminist movement-in your face," but i totally get where you're coming from. i have many of the same thoughts as you. i'm just not quite sure what to do with them yet. i keep meaning to ask God. it's just that i know i don't have open ears right now...trying to remedy that.

Courtney said...

Haha...I think it's all about being comfortable where He leads you in every moment. I just think there is a mis-perception (which I totally bought) that to be successful is to have a career-that is so not true. I trust you will listen when he calls you Brooke :)

Jennifer said...

Totally agree Courtney. You have always been the type of person who is comfortable with herself and I have always admired that :)