Monday, October 4, 2010

Ending It...

My love/hate relationship with Facebook that is.  I have been wanting to deactivate my account for a long time.  I have been logging into the site since 2004.  For 6 years, I have dedicated countless hours to peeking into the lives of friends and sometimes, strangers.  What started off as a fun way to keep up to date on cute boys & where people were hanging out on Friday nights, has ended up as a way to lazily keep tabs on friends and family. 

It's time for a change.  I have decided that since I can't control my urge to log on, I will just deactivate the account until I can figure out how to-if ever. 

There is a lot about internet communication that bothers me. I don't like when people ask favors over the internet (or text messages for that matter).  I don't like only knowing someone by their facebook profile.  I don't like how messages can be misinterpreted.  I don't like how I can misinterpret messages.  Basically, I don't like anything other than face to face communication.  Things always get jumbled otherwise.  I also don't like how easy it is for me to depersonalize people and react in mean ways, when I otherwise may not have done so.  I don't like how lazy it has made me in calling friends-new and old.  Bottom line is, it is time to get back to basics. 

James and I got rid of our cable television over a month ago and that has been so freeing.  In these past 6 weeks, I have studied the Bible more, read more books, cleaned house, made dinners, and spent more time on the floor reading & playing with Connor.  The logical next step was to delete my other time waster-Facebook.  So, for now, this blog and our Shutterfly Site (connorjkillian.shutterfly.com) are the only online links to the Killian household.   

No comments: