Saturday, April 9, 2011

Wall-E

Connor's new favorite movie (thanks to Aunt Ashley) is Wall-E.  It's such a great movie and after watching it over and over and over and over and over, you finally get a VERY clear picture of what kind of message the movie is trying to send.  When Wall-E first enters the Axiom and is trying to find Eve, he encounters numerous very large people, flying around, talking to each other through screens even though they are right next to each other.  The first few times I watched that I thought to myself "how lazy!"  But, really, isn't that what we do now? 

Case and point-over the past month, I have called numerous people.  Each one texted me back (including my new boss).  I have looked at my received calls and the last one is from mid-March.  But don't worry, I'm not a total loser!  I reach my limit weekly on the number of texts my phone can store.  I constantly have to do a mass delete.

I admit it.  I love texting.  I love facebooking.  I love blogging.  Basically, I love doing anything that will make me avoid talking to people while still doing it at the same time.  I text to ask if I can call.   I text if I really don't feel like talking, but want to tell you something.  Basically, it's me being lazy and not taking the time to build on existing friendships or build new ones. 

James and I had a discussion today about how Facebook is retarding our ability to communicate face to face.  Slowly but surely, we are going to lose the ability to communicate with one another and the ones who can will become a commodity.   

I know I've said this many, many times before, but this time I mean it.  Facebook and texting will no longer be a main source of communication.  I have to get back to my roots and TALK to people.  I will not cancel my Facebook account as I have before, but I will not spend hours reading how people are doing.  I want to hear how you are doing. 

Do we really want to become the fat, lazy blobs that Wall-E forecasts?  It seems that we are not that far away from that becoming a reality. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i also loved this movie! matt and i watched it a few months ago. everytime i see people driving around in the carts at wal-mart i think of it. it just makes me want to go outside and run!

you are right about the texting and facebooking. i have been considering quitting facebook, and am seriously thinking about sewing some kind of cover to put over the TV so i can't watch it as easily.

i called you today. where are you? :)