| I use BumGenius 4.0 & Organic All-In-Ones AND Thirsties Duo Wrap Covers with Premium Chinese Prefolds |
I am finally feeling brave enough to post a blog about cloth diapering. So, to all of you naysayers out there, keep your chuckles to yourself :) A lot of people that I have talked to recently have said that cloth diapering is just not for them. I used to think the same thing. I used to think that I could not handle ONE MORE LOAD OF LAUNDRY a week. I used to think it was just way too difficult. It was just a 'California Fruits & Nuts' kinda idea.
I've been blessed with knowing some pretty great ladies who have inspired me to change my throw away habits (Amanda, Jenn, Megan & Brooke to name a few). Since beginning, I have become increasingly aware of the amount of trash I used to add to the landfill each week. My new goal is to only fill up our curb-side trash can once a week and to NEVER have more than can be hauled away in one load. That means I've had to pick up my game with recycling AND cloth diapering.
There are many benefits to cloth diapering and cost savings is a definite perk. Before starting to cloth diaper, I would spend about $30/week on diapers. Add that up over 55 weeks and you can be spending a pretty penny. With the savings, I have been able to start a college fund for the boys and am able to contribute $100 to each child monthly. The goal there is for them to leave college without loans or debt.
Another key benefit (and my favorite) is the idea that I am making a small sacrifice to save God's earth. Yes, I am again, thinking about the movie Wall-E, but isn't that what the world will come to some day? I am willing to sacrifice my time and effort to help preserve what He has given to me. I desire to treat His earth the way He wants me to. I want to make sure there is still a beautiful Earth for Connor and Jacob to inhabit when they grow up. This is just a small part of that.
The last factor in my choosing to cloth diaper is avoiding toxic chemicals that they use to produce disposable diapers. Have you ever noticed that disposables gel up once they get wet? Well, that chemical is called Sodium Polyacrylate. This is the same chemical they used to use in tampons, which was linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome, which was removed because of it's toxicity. It can also cause skin irritations and respiratory problems. They also have Dioxins, which can skin reactions and altered liver function, as well as impairments to the immune system, nervous system, endocrine system and reproductive functions. Not to mention the other numerous toxins that are bad for the environment. I mean, once in the landfill, these things don't disintegrate. They sit in a landfill and pollute the world around them. To Read More About Toxins, Click Here
I will post more later on how to get started, which diapers I like and how many I suggest getting. For now, it is so important for us to think about how we can each play a small part in preserving the Earth. Whether it's recycling, taking the bus, riding your bike, cloth diapering or any other way you can think of. We only have one Earth, so we need to treat her right!
No comments:
Post a Comment