Often times, people don't fully understand what a military member means when they say "(Service Branch) Family." I would like to share what mine means to me.
They do what your family would do for you. They watch your kids. They watch your pets. They walk into your house unannounced. They laugh with you. They cry with you. They encourage you. They love your kids and your pets as if they were your own. Your kids love them. They celebrate holidays with you. They share meals with you. They know what groceries are staples in your pantry. They help you back before a move. They help you unpack after. They help you find a home in your new town. They let you sleep on their couch when you are homeless before a move. They are in essence, your home away from home. A reason to love where you live, even if it's in the middle of nowhere. They are all over the world and it seems as if every base we will move to from this point on, we will have "family" waiting.
I often ask myself how many "best" friends I will have in my life....and I think I need to just scrap that term because best only identifies ONE. I have been blessed with tons of amazing friends (read more HERE) and two that I call "best." The beauty and curse of military living is that you have friends all over the world...and none will ever be in the same place at the same time. But, they are family and you know you will see them again...even if soon means years later.
Brooke-I am so thankful for your friendship. I am thankful that you are a part of my family. I am thankful for your love for my boys. I know that God destined us to be friends and I will be forever grateful for our long, insightful chats and for you pushing me further in my faith.
1 comment:
So true! Nobody expects you to ask family members to do these things, since they know that you probably don't have family anywhere for hundreds of miles. I love that everyone seems to step up to the plate and love each other as a family would. If you're homeless when you move up here, we have a spare bedroom, btw :).
Post a Comment