Thursday, June 2, 2011

Marathon Momma?


Well-it's official.  December 4, 2011 I will officially be a marathoner.  The race of choice is the Dallas White Rock Marathon.  Can you believe it?  I can't either.  But, I AM SO READY TO DO THIS!  The best part, is that my best friend and I will be doing it together.  It seems odd to think about my running resume and see that I am a 2 time 1/2 Marathon Finisher, countless 5K's, 1 10K and will add marathon to that list.  I don't see myself as much of a big-time runner, but when you look at that, it makes you think I am.  I'm sneaky like that. 

But let's be honest.  I'm nervous.  How am I going to tackle 15-20 mile training runs on weekends, in the winter in Minot, ND?  I know I will make it work, but that worries me.  I am also facing a move mid-training and James has a 2 week cross country drive planned out for us.  How am I going to fight my demons all alone?  What if James can't take leave for the race?  The list goes on and on. 

I recently started reading a book called "Run Like a Mother" by Dimity McDowell & Sarah Shea.  They are hilarious!  Reading the book makes me think of me & Megan.  One runs for time, one runs to finish.  One likes to dress cute for her runs, one doesn't.  There is a quote in the book that reminds me why I run.  Why I will get myself out of bed and face the freezing cold.  Why I will push myself to the limit physically and mentally.  Here goes: 

"For an overstressed, overtired, overextended mother, there are few other sensations that rival a delicious run.  Once the sweat starts running down my temples, I daydream, analyze, smile, wonder, channel something cosmic.  I feel alive and, perhaps most importantly, like myself again." 

How beautiful is that?  To end with I feel like myself again?  Doesn't this sound familiar?  Running makes me feel alive.  Free.  Beautiful.  Powerful.  Passionate.  Alone. 

So, Megan Preston, let's do this in a big way.  Let's leave everything out on the course and throw all caution to the wind.  Let's become members of an elite group that call themselves MARATHONERS! 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it, love it, love it! and i totally agree! matt's cousins are giving us training tips for our half marathon. his cousin lisa said the first three miles are always the hardest. i think she's right. after that, you just think, breathe, daydream, pray.

also, my favorite thing to do when i feel like i want to stop running is to say that mantra or whatever from the beth moore study we did a few years ago:

i believe God is who he says he is.
i believe God can do what he says he can do.
i believe i am who God says i am.
i believe i can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me.
i believe God's word is alive and active in me.
i'm believing God!

maybe i can come watch your boys in december if james can't!!

Courtney said...

I usually hit my stride after about 20 minutes (I'm more into time than distance).

When I was running the Salt Lake City half, my mantra to myself was

"This is where the training comes in. Dig in. Dig deap. Do it for your boys! You can and WILL do this." which oddly, was very similar to my birthing mantra.

Everytime I got to the boys part, I would tear up, and push even harder! You CAN DO IT BROOKE!!